What is Bio identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT)
Q: Why should I use BHRT?
- A: Bioidentical hormone therapy is a precise therapy that can accurately diagnose hormone imbalances and naturally restore the body to optimal functioning.
- LABTESTING – we offer leading laboratory technology using non invasive SALIVA samples or blood samples.
- PRESCRIPTION - Dr. Millar and Dr. de Martino work with Medical Doctor, Dr. Upadhyay to formalize a individualized BHRT treatment plan for each patient.
Q: What is the difference between saliva testing and serum (blood) testing ?
- A: Saliva testing is a non invasive and more accurate method for measuring active hormones in the body. Traditional blood tests are often an inaccurate measure for hormonal dysfunction in the body. Unless there is an extreme pathology, it is unlikely that hormone levels (thyroid, adrenal, estrogen/progesterone/testosterone) will show an imbalance- even when they are suboptimal.
- Far too often women and men complain of feeling unwell despite having perfect or normal blood tests. Although having normal hormonal blood tests is reassuring that there is not a more serious pathology underlying the symptoms, it does not help in assessment of why an individual feels so unwell.
- Salivary tests measure “free” hormones (2-5% of the hormones in a person’s body), which are the hormones that are available to go to work for you – stimulating receptor cells and carrying out the tasks they are designed to perform. In contrast, serum testing generally measures the “total” hormones, which includes those hormones already bound to protein and unavailable for your cells to use.
Q: Are there any clinical studies that support the use of saliva testing?
- A: Yes. We carry a binder at the front reception that provides copies of various well known studies, which can be photocopied and read.
Q: How do I order a saliva or blood hormone test ?
- A: At the time of your first appointment with Dr. Millar/ Dr. de Martino, you will be given a lab test requisition form for specified salivary or blood tests. If your clinician requests a salivary test, there will be a saliva test “kit” to take home with you, which you will mail off to the Trubalance Lab in Toronto (info inside the kit).
- Mail-Monday to Thursday- Not on a Friday because the specimen will sit all weekend and spoil. Postage $8-$10.
- You will have either blood or saliva testing done to evaluate your hormone levels. This will depend on your symptoms and medical history.
Q: Will insurance or OHIP cover my lab tests ?
- A: BHRT is not covered by OHIP or insurance. Once you receive your hormone kit, you will pay for the testing at that time (prices range from $350- $450. After 2 weeks from the date of mailing, Health Momentum will receive the results which can be discussed with you.
- The patient may submit their own receipts to their insurance company directly if they wish to. Some insurance companies may cover the BHRT prescriptions.
Q: Are my prescriptions covered by insurance ?
- A: The patient pays Trutina Pharmacy directly & then submits their own receipts to their insurance co. Some insurance companies will cover the prescriptions.
Q: How soon will my lab test results be ready ?
- A: Results take approximately 7 to10 days from the time the lab receives your specimen/samples. Lab results will be sent directly to Health Momentum, at which time you will book a follow up appointment with your Naturopathic Doctor to go over results and suggestions for your customized BHRT prescription therapy.
- Plan to schedule on appointment with your ND 2-3 weeks after you send off of the salivary specimen to Trutina Pharmacy.
Q: How does Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy benefit me in the future?
- A: BHRT will help you feel like yourself again, even through the ups and downs of hormonal change.
- FOR WOMEN – BHRT will decrease hotflashes, nightsweats, anxiety, insomnia and will improve energy, memory and libido, and weight management.
- FOR MEN – BHRT will increase your muscle mass, memory, stamina, energy and libido.
- We teach disease prevention and show you how to increase your quality of life.
- Dr. Millar and Dr. de Martino have both trained with “Dr. Erika Schwartz, a MD and national expert in bioidentical hormone therapies, wellness and disease prevention.
- With accurate testing we can track your hormone levels and optimize them.
- Monitor hormone levels over time so therapy can be adjusted sooner rather than later
Q: What age does the patient have to be to do hormone therapy?
- A: Patients who benefit from BHRT BHRTare as young as 16 years old (severe issues with periods), right up to 90 years old. Our hormone levels drop 1 to 3% per year once we hit the age of 30 years old. So it is wise to get tested sooner rather then later, so the doctor can have a baseline measure of where your hormones levels are naturally at.